Monday 21 September 2015

Creating Opportunities...



I love it - The ONLY thing that separates women of color from anyone else is OPPORTUNITY! - Viola Davis

Sometimes we have to create our own opportunities because most times when we are growing in our space and trying to live our dreams, the sad truth it, it will be our very own who will be our dream killers.  We will have to learn as women of color to raise above those dream killers, pick ourselves up and keep our heads high and keep it moving.

I write this with a heavy heart  and in tears because I have suffered so many major disappointments and setbacks just reaching out to my own asking for support and help.  You would think that your own people would be happy to see you succeed in life, but the sad truth it, is is often our very own that will let us down and shake our very belief and foundation.



Many of you by now know my story thus far if you have read my autobiography Silent Hearer available on Amazon and at Barnes and Noble. I simply refuse to accept my situations no matter what. Many opportunities I have had to let pass me by because of finances and circumstances. But yet I refuse to give up and still won't give up.  Even after getting more disappointing news today.

Maya Angelou knew what she was speaking about when she said "But still, like dust, I rise".  See sometimes, even when we are beaten broken and battered, we will have to gather the strength and raise up like dust to become the mythical phoenix of new beginnings.  Someone in so doing we will have to leave people and places behind.  Some will never truly understand the sacrifices that you have to make to accomplish this, but the journey could have been so much easier if those who could have helped from the start had done so.

So to all my friends, no matter what color you are, just remember no matter what life may bring your way or how challenging it may be, don't ever stop dreaming or give up your dreams.  Lift your head up and go create your own OPPORTUNITY!

No comments:

Post a Comment